SCN Fox Valley is a coalition of non-profit organizations, businesses, governments, and citizens that plans with and advocates for the Fox Valley region, for a future that is locally self- reliant and that sustains the regional global environment.
SCN envisions a sustainable Fox Valley region where, in 20 years, public knowledge of sustainability issues is increased, people and communities have adopted less consumptive lifestyles and environmentally conscious organizational cultures, energy conservation measures are widely adopted, there is regional application of clean, renewable energy sources, and communities are designed and redesigned with sustainable practices in mind.
To achieve this vision, SCN Fox Valley has identified three goals which guide our work:
- To increase awareness of the issues involved in creating a sustainable future for the Fox Valley region. These issues include meeting people’s needs fairly and efficiently while reducing wasteful energy consumption, reducing dependence on fossil fuels & other underground substances, and reducing degradation of nature, air & water.
- To educate citizens about processes for creating changes in their communities.
- To increase the number of people involved in planning and advocating for changes to sustainable practices through SCN Fox Valley activities.
We’re getting this done by:
- Sponsoring periodic speakers and educational activities for our members and the general public
- Sponsoring The Natural Step for Communities book study circles and workshops
- Providing citizen support to the Sustainability Boards of the Village of Fox Crossing, and the Cities of Menasha and Neenah
- Providing input and support to local governments when doing long- range comprehensive planning and during the planning of community development projects
- Supporting the adoption of sustainable practices and ecology principles in our community
- Promoting the use of renewable energy, land and water conservation, recycling, and improved housing and transportation design options as solutions to the sustainability issues facing the Fox Valley region
History of SCN- Fox Valley
Out of a concern for community planning related to future energy shortages after viewing the DVD The End of Suburbia, the need for positive actions to be taken in response to this issue was realized. A meeting with Menasha City officials led to the formation of a conference committee the connected citizens with City, UW- Extension, and Regional Planning personnel. This resulted in a well attended conference on 6/15/2006 on the Energy Impacts on the Fox Valley: Our Past, Our Future. From this, SCN was formed!
SCN means home in the Greek language and it seemed to be a fitting name for a group focused on securing the sustainability of our community’s future.
Enough for Everyone Forever… Building Community through the Wise Use of our Natural and Human Resources
Since that time, the group has strived to develop as a coalition of citizens, cities, universities, organizations and businesses focused on education and actions in support of the implementation of sustainable practices here in the Fox Valley. Educational events and panel discussions on the wide range of issues related to sustainability have been held.
Additionally, several early gatherings of the sustainability organizations across the Fox Valley were held to introduce us to each other and foster a sense of common purpose which we continue to work on today. Most recently, the development of this web- site and the community calendars that it houses reflect this effort at networking with groups across the Valley.
We continue to plan and advocate for a Fox Valley that is locally self- reliant and sustains the regional and global environement.