- Comprehensive Plan w/ sustainability issues addressed
- Park and Open Space Plan with trails/walkability addressed.
Ordinances and Policies Adopted
- Sustainability Policy
- Green Procurement Policy
- Wind Power Ordinance.
- We have adopted our own Zoning Ordinance, which allows for more flexibility in regards to planning and building for sustainability.
Construction Projects Completed
- Installation of a 28kW solar electric system at the Municipal Complex– 2009.
- Installation of energy efficient lighting at the Municipal Complex– 2011.
- 17 miles of pedestrian/bicycle trails installed.
- North Lake Street trail (tie into City of Neenah & Trestle Trail).
Baseline Assessments Conducted
- Carbon footprint assessment for Municipal Complex- 2010.
- Energy Audit for Municipal Complex/Fire/Utility – 2011.
- Energy reduction projects:Municipal Complex – lighting, etc.– 2012
- Utility – improvements to efficiency for water and sewer pumps – 2012
- Streets – possible LED street lights – 2014.
- The Bike/Ped Task Force has conducted a preliminary facilities usage inventory – 2013.
Organizations and Institutions Created
- Sustainability Committee created – 2008
- Formed Trail Advisory Committee – Resolution Adopted by the Town Board to form the Committee – June 2013
- Have had three successful meetings;
- Have begun inventory of current facilities.
- HSBN (Healthy, Sustainable, Business Network) Program established to recognize sustainability in business practices – SCA Tissue, Miron Construction, and Jack’s Maintenance have received awards.
- Successful Earth Week partnership with HSBN businesses – ReStore collection competition; children’s sustainability poster competition for take-your-kid-to-work day.
- Active Community Environments Initiative – attended second training at the beginning of June.
- Completion of the Natural Step study circles– 2011.
- Sustainability presentations to Town Department Heads.
- Sustainability educational booth at NNO every year.
- Established an organic teaching garden at Schildt Park – 2011.
- Participation in sustainability fairs sponsored by SCA Tissue.
- Creating a Sustainable Business Development Plan.
- Established Community Gardens at Schildt Park – 8 plots – 2012
- 17 plots for 2013
- 22 plots are planned for 2014 and all but one are rented already. Created a gravel parking area and a path around the gardens
- will be installing decorative fencing around the parking area and planting grape vines along the fence
- planted fruit trees around the parking lot perimeter.
- Farmer’s Market in conjunction with the Park and Rec. Dept. at Schildt Park – 2012
- 2013 – have 7 vendors, which dwindled to three… trying again in 2014
- Held electronics recycling events at the Municipal Complex every spring and fall – 2010-2014. Last year we partnered with the * City of Menasha and Neenah to hold our recycling events around the same time
- we will continue that in 2014.
- Explore the creation of a community flower garden.
- Support the town’s urban forestry efforts by partnering with the Park and Rec Dept. on Arbor Day events.
- Conduct sustainability reviews of town department operations.
- Continue to work with SCN on a series of short videos on sustainability to air after our Planning Commission meetings on the public access cable channel.
- Partner with the City of Menasha on bike/ped. planning efforts –connectivity between municipalities.
- The Bike/Ped Task Force is applying for a “Bicycle Friendly Community” designation – 2014.
- The Bike/Ped Task force is working on prioritizing actions for bike/ped improvements in the town – 2014.
- Work on a sustainable business development plan – 2014.